You can download my free self-publishing checklist to help you with your planning. It’s a great place to start. self-publisher-checklist
You can find this and other handy resources and tools on the Resources page. I will be adding new items to this page on a regular basis.
Here we are again. The start of the year and time to set our writing (and other) goals . I find that setting yearly goals and monthly targets is a great way to ensure that I get things done. I can’t vouch for the quality of the work, but projects are completed
Where to start:
Some of you may have noticed that I have set up a resources page: Resources for Writers. During the year I will be adding various spreadsheets, check lists, links and information sheets, to help people like me with their writing journey (yes this is one of my goals). You will find a writers-goals-template on this page.
Things to consider when setting your goals:
What would you like to achieve this year in terms of:
- earning money from writing
- professional development (what courses, training, conferences and events would you like to attend)
- entering work in competitions
- submitting pieces to journals
- self publishing
- expanding social media/author profile
- securing an agent
- securing a traditional publishing contract (aim big)
Review you list of current projects, files and ideas and think about what you would like to do in 2017.
- What needs to be written/drafted?
- Which projects require a structural/format edit?
- Which projects require a external review (i.e. with a professional editor)?
- Which projects are ready to be pitched (to an agent or publisher) and require synopsis/blurbs/cover letters etc?
- Which projects need to be submitted ( to where/whom and by when)?
- What needs to be done to improve your author/social media profile?
- Do you need to market a published product or prepare a marketing plan for a new one?
What commitments do you have in other areas of your life.
- Work out how many hours you have for writing work each week (and then each day).
- When are you free to write?
- How much time do you need to commit to other income earning ventures?
- Are you travelling? How long will you be away for on each occassion?
- Are you responsible for the care of others? Factor in time to take care of your responsibilities.
- What other goals do you have for the year? Include everything from financial, health and fitness, educational goals (etc)
- Consider what you can realistically achieve in a year.
- Then break this down into what you would like to achieve every quarter.
- The break it down into a set of monthly targets.
- Prepare a goals document.
- Review the document at the start of every month and prepare a daily to-do list.
- Review you progress with your to-do list at the end of each day
- Review your goals list at the end of each month.
Good luck with your goal setting!